[CentOS] NTP Service Running on Local Host does not Sync System Time

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 10:12:48 UTC 2016

In article <56A88188.6070808 at hogranch.com>,
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 1/27/2016 12:25 AM, Traiano Welcome wrote:
> > I'm tempted to stick an "ntpdate -u ..." in the crontab to force
> > time-synch, but I don't see why that's needed if ntpd service should
> > already be fulfilling that purpose.
>

> ntpd won't make drastic changes in the time, if its too far off. its
> designed to stabilize the clock by making small changes in speeding it
> up or slowing it down, and not 'staircase' setting it absolutely.
>
> IMHO, ntpdate -u should be run before starting ntpd so the clock is
> close to spot on up front, I have sometimes added this to the
> /etc/init.d/ntp scripts.

You don't need to do that. If you have one or more ntp servers listed
in /etc/ntp/step-tickers, the startup scripts will do it for you
automatically. In C5 the ntpd script does it. In C6 you have to
do "chkconfig ntpdate on" too, as it is separate from the ntpd script.
In C7 i have no idea :-)

Cheers
Tony
--