[CentOS] Just need to vent

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jan 27 16:11:56 UTC 2016

Jonathan Billings wrote:

>> > I suggest reading the previous emails (SOME OF WHICH YOU REPLIED TO)
>> > that listed many of the features people are happy about.
>>
>> I don't take a position in the systemd argument,
>> but you said that systemd fixes lots of problems.
>> It is perfectly reasonable to ask you to name one of these problems,
>> perhaps the one you think is most important.
>
> Well, here's a great one.  I agree with Matthew:
>
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2016-January/157399.html
<snip>
Well, that's interesting, about making sure it's stopped. I've asked here
a month or two ago, and got no responses: my manager has me using
pmount/pumount to mount the hard drives I'm putting in the eSATA drive bay
for offline backups. Formerly, I used mount/umount, and when I umounted
it, and walked downstairs, mostly, esp the green drives, were spun down. I
pumount... and *nothing* spins down. They stay spinning, which is obvious,
as I can feel the gyroscopic action as I pop them out immediately after
hitting the button to turn off the power to the drive.

That box is running CentOS 7.

        mark