[CentOS] CentOS 7, 327 kernel still crashing

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jan 29 15:09:53 UTC 2016

Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane wrote:
>> From: Wes James [mailto:comptekki at me.com]
>> > On Jan 27, 2016, at 1:47 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> >
>> > I've just added the following to the CentOS bugtracker for CentOS-7
>> > 0009860. I admit to not being sure if it's the same issue, or a
>> > separate one, but this and other Dell servers - I *think* they're
>> > all R420's, but I could be wrong, just all do the same thing on boot.
>> > *****************
>> > I've just updated a CentOS 7 server to the latest kernel,
>> > vmlinuz-3.10.0-327.4.5.el7.x86_64, and the server fails to boot. It
>> > has failed on every 327 kernel.
>> >
>> > Server: Dell R420, 2 Xeons, 124G RAM.
>>
>> I have the same issue on a 2011 iMac.  Usually a it takes one or two
>> rounds of kernels more and it starts working, but I have to stay on
>> 3.10.0-229.20.1 right now.  All the 327’s crash on boot.
>>

> The `rpm -q --changelog ` of the 327 kernel looks like they only made
> three 'important' changes, and I think gives pointers to kernel.org
> changes you could use find the offending patches.
> Have you folks considered grabbing the srpm, backing out the each of the
> (three) changes between the pre 327 and 327 and building it yourself to
> figure out which thing broke your systems?
<snip>
Sorry, I really don't have the time.

HOWEVER, here's an additional datum: I just updated some servers, and one
failed to reboot, also dropping into the rdshell The thing is, this was
vmlinuz-3.10.0-229.20.1.el7.x86_64, *not* a 327. When I went back to
vmlinuz-3.10.0-229.14.1.el7.x86_64, I had no trouble.

Note: in the rdshell, both with any 327 kernel, or with the 229-20, I had
zero issues when I made a mountpoint and mounted /boot or /.

I saved the rdshell from this morning, and have the ok to look more
closely. I will note this: I'm now starting to wonder if this is possibly
a systemd issue... or a grub2 issue.

       mark