[CentOS] man and man-db inconsitency

david

david at daku.org
Sat Jan 30 05:22:38 UTC 2016

Folks

I use "yum list installed" to determine if a package has been
installed.  In particular, I was interested in the "man" program,
installed with the command "yum install man".

In Centos6, if I look at the results, I see that "man" was
installed.  This is good.
In Centos7, if I look at the results, I see that "man-db" was
installed.  This is inconsistent.

The result is that the generic algorithm:

   if I want package X , check the "yum list installed" output.
   If X is not listed, install it, otherwise assume it's already installed.

Is there a reason for this inconsistency?  The above algorithm works
with most other packages.

David