[CentOS] LVM thin volumes fstrim operation not supported

Tue Jan 19 21:29:20 UTC 2016
Tim Robinson <terobinson at gmail.com>

Hi All

I'm trying to setup my LVM thin pool to support discards so that the pool
can reclaim space even if the underlying device doesn't support trim. It is
my understanding that all thin pools should support trim even if the
underlying device doesn't. (please correct me if I'm wrong here)

I have one centos server that does support trim and everything is working
correctly but any new servers and thin pools throw the error below.

# fstrim -v /mnt/data00
fstrim: /mnt/data00: the discard operation is not supported

I can't find any differences in the LVM configuration between the two
servers, they both have the lv discards set to passthough.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something when creating the thin pool
that would allow me to perform the fstrim.

I'm using xfs on all of the lvs.

Thanks,
Tim