[CentOS] SSD drives for the OS - 1 or 2?

Tue Jan 5 02:24:02 UTC 2016
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2016-01-05, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:
> - does just a single SSD drive offer the same reliability or is there
> advantage in deploying two in a Raid 1 config?

All else being equal, a RAID1 will be more reliable than a single drive,
whether it's magnetic or SSD.

> Also, what form factor / interface is best for the SSD OS boot device on
> a server M/B? Anything I should be looking for?

If you're going for a RAID, you may as well also go for hot-swap drive
bays, so that you can change a failed drive without downing the system.
At that point you may as well ask your vendor what they suggest.  The
SSDs I have in a RAID1 configuration are 2.5" drives.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us