[CentOS] Just need to vent

Sun Jan 24 08:16:24 UTC 2016
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 01/23/2016 06:20 PM, Alice Wonder wrote:
> Sometimes the direction of UI development in gnome really angers me.
>
> For example, when selecting a font for the gedit text editor - there is
> no way to ask it to only show monospace fonts.
>
> It's a fricken text editor, that should be the default - meaning you
> have to do something special to get fonts shown that aren't monospace.
>
> Seriously, who is in charge with the UI design in gnome?
>
> Whoever it is needs to be fired.
>
> /rant

A long time ago there was a utility called something like xfontsel with
which you could toggle any of the some-two dozen properties of fonts,
e.g., you could filter out all italic fonts or show just the 12-pt
fonts.  Yeah, it took ten minutes the first time to figure out how the
utility worked, but then you had a tool that worked, was effective and
streamlined, and you didn't even need a mouse to use.  Just looking, I
didn't find it with yum, but it looks like it's still out there, albeit
a mousey version: http://linux.die.net/man/1/xfontsel

I agree with others about the wayward tabletization of what's supposed
to be a productivity tool.  Last month, the touch pad on a new laptop
getting in way of that productivity big time, I wrote in code on gnome's
website how much fun it wasn't-- i.e., how to disable the touch pad:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Playground/TouchPadPark  Alice, maybe
you'd drop them a suggestion to include xfontsel, if you find it better
than their thinking, to replace the boffotude they're gifting us with.

Since I'm in rant mode, who broke the code for 'whereis'?

$ whereis xfontsel; echo We need a newline.
xfontsel:We need a newline.
$

New rule: No smoking the good stuff at work.