[CentOS] Just need to vent

Mon Jan 25 17:07:02 UTC 2016
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 03:20:35PM -0800, Alice Wonder wrote:
> It's a fricken text editor, that should be the default - meaning you
> have to do something special to get fonts shown that aren't
> monospace.

The default _is_ monospace (specifically, the monospace system font).
You _are_ doing something special by changing the font - and gedit
happens to work just fine with proportional-spaced fonts, which someone
might even prefer for whatever they're doing.

Having another option to filter the font list might be a nice
enhancement, but I think it's pretty easy to see why it wasn't a
priority.

> Seriously, who is in charge with the UI design in gnome?
> Whoever it is needs to be fired.

This isn't the way GNOME works, or open source in general. Nor is this
an effective way to create change. I recommend, instead, filing an RFE
at <https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gedit> -- although
leaving the hyperbolic rhetoric and simply presenting the case is a lot
more likely to be effective. (Bonus effectiveness: provide a patch!)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>