[CentOS] Just need to vent

Wed Jan 27 16:02:50 UTC 2016

Sylvain CANOINE wrote:
>> De: "Jonathan Billings" <billings at negate.org>

>> Maybe you're not aware of it, but there are a LOT of things that
>> systemd fixes that people are happy about.

> Like what ? I don't remember there were as many errors to fix before
> systemd appeared.

Agreed. The speed of boot and shutdown? Whoop-de-do. I've got HP servers
that take about 70 second BEFORE THE LOGO ever comes up, just blank
screen, before POST. And my servers - for at least a lot of them, I've got
once a month maintenance windows to reboot. Some, maybe once every three
months. Why should I care about speed of reboot? That matters on someone's
laptop, but the rest?

Or the annoyance with NetMangler, that in 7 is not only noisy, but keeps
wanting to do stuff with wifi... on a wired workstation, and I have yet to
figure out how to shut it up.

Or systemctl restart somethingorother, that gives *ZERO* warm fuzzies
while running, just nothing, and you have to run another command to find
out what happened.  Or the non-plain-text configuration files, which are
just *wonderful* NOT when you're in linux rescue.

Just because you *can* do something does not mean you *should*.

        mark