[CentOS] Centos 3.8 Server Questions, SeaMonkey Mozilla and Java

Mon Jan 11 14:08:47 UTC 2016
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 01/09/2016 01:59 PM, H wrote:
> But I did not ask for a current version of Centos to support my usecase, did I?

All I can tell you is that CentOS 3.(anything) is no longer secure at
all.  If this machine in any way touches the internet, expect that it
will be hacked.  You can try to minimize the issues by only opening
ports that are absolutely required, but there issues that would be rated
critical if that branch was being maintained.

On top of that, java is one of the least secure packages out there, and
they have critical updates all the time .. which means if that is what
you want to do on this box, then it is doubly insecure.

But that is your call, not mine.

EPEL was never released for RHEL-3 / CentOS-3 (that I can find).  There
were not even any of these extra packages for EL3:
http://centos.karan.org

If you must use a CentOS-3.x .. you should use 3.9, which is 3.8 + the
updates from here:

http://vault.centos.org/3.9/updates/

But, I want to reiterate, it will in no way be even close to secure.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes