[CentOS] HDD badblocks

Wed Jan 20 14:26:32 UTC 2016
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 01/19/2016 06:29 PM, J Martin Rushton wrote:
> (Off topic) I also
> remember seeing engineers determine which memory chip was at fault and
> replacing the chip using a soldering iron.  Try that on a DIMM!

As long as the DIMM isn't populated with BGA packages it's about a
ten-minute job with a hot air rework station, which will only cost you
around $100 or so if you shop around (and if you have a relatively
steady hand and either good eyes or a good magnifier). It's doable in a
DIY way even with BGA, but takes longer and you need a reballing mask
for that specific package to make it work right.  Any accurately
controlled oven is good enough to do the reflow (and baking Xbox boards
is essentially doing a reflow......)

Yeah, I prefer tubes and discretes and through-hole PCB's myself, but at
this point I've acquired a hot air station and am getting up to speed on
surface mount, and am finding that it's not really that hard, just
different.

This is not that different from getting up to speed with something
really new and different, like systemd.  It just requires being willing
to take a different approach to the problem.  BGA
desoldering/resoldering requires a whole different way of looking at the
soldering operation, that's all.