[CentOS] Just need to vent

Sat Jan 23 23:50:15 UTC 2016

On Sat, January 23, 2016 5:20 pm, Alice Wonder wrote:
> Sometimes the direction of UI development in gnome really angers me.
>
> For example, when selecting a font for the gedit text editor - there is
> no way to ask it to only show monospace fonts.
>
> It's a fricken text editor, that should be the default - meaning you
> have to do something special to get fonts shown that aren't monospace.
>
> Seriously, who is in charge with the UI design in gnome?
>
> Whoever it is needs to be fired.

I know, you are not seeking advice or wishing someone to join the rant...
which I gladly could do. I was angry when Gnome suddenly switched from
logical tree-like menu away to hmm... just search ("as you, stupid, will
not be able to follow logic; which we, developers, don't possess ourselves
anymore in the first place" ;-) Well, luckily, there is fork of GNOME
which is called mate. That is what I use ever since. (It's easier for me
as I myself have FreeBSD both on my workstation and PC laptop, and on
FreeBSD you have to put your own effort to add X and desktop environment
etc anyway). Incidentally, I just checked on my laptop: text editor that
comes with mate (plume is its name) has monospace font which is default, I
never changed that as I myself just use vi in shell - out of habit. My
guess is, the developers that forked mate from GNOME really have a
philosophy "do not make any changed unless they are absolutely necessary".
This way our teachers taught us to program way back, BTW. Anyway, maybe
switching to mate will help to avoid frustration.

Good luck!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator