[CentOS] Google Chrome and CentOS 6?

Mon Jan 25 15:19:12 UTC 2016
Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>

> Date: Monday, January 25, 2016 07:18:06 +0000
> From: Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Just recently I started getting the dreaded message about my
> CentOS 6.7  x64-installation wasn't going to be supported anymore
> by Google Chrome.
>
> "This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates
> because this  Linux system will no longer be supported."
>
> Doing some google searches I found this;
> http://superuser.com/questions/1011832/this-computer-will-soon-sto
> p-receiving-google-chrome-updates-because-this-linux
>
> Which in itself wasn't too uplifting...
> Following the suggestion about installing Chromium instead worked,
> but it  seems to be stuck at an ancient version of the browser.
>
> Recompiling the available Chromium source is of course an option,
> but not for  me.
> Not unless there are step-by-step guides doing it.
>
> There was a rather long and somewhat heated discussion regarding
> Chrome on  CentOS a while ago.
> Was there any real conclusion about Google Chrome on CentOS and
> how to get  around this problem?
> Are the views on this matter still infected?
>
> I'm not looking forward to go back to the sluggish Firefox. 8-/

You're just seeing this now on a 6.7 system? I don't believe that
google-chrome (as provided from the google repositories) has worked
(been installable) on Centos-6.x machines for 2 years or more. [I
just tried to install their current stable-48 on a 6.7 machine and
got the libstdc++.so.6 dependency issue that broke this some time
ago.]

With Centos-7 you'll see that warning banner if/when you update to
48. That release has been in beta since mid-december:
 <https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2015-December/156726.html>

and was just pushed out from their "stable" channel late last week.

My message in mid-december didn't elicit any real solution, but
maybe that it's now hitting the stable release for Centos-7 there
might be more interest.