[CentOS] pmount

Wed Jan 27 21:42:59 UTC 2016
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 01/27/2016 08:11 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> my manager has me using
> pmount/pumount to mount the hard drives I'm putting in the eSATA drive bay
> for offline backups. Formerly, I used mount/umount, and when I umounted
> it, and walked downstairs, mostly, esp the green drives, were spun down. I
> pumount... and*nothing*  spins down.

I think you're seeing a simple correlation of events that are
indeterminate.  Un-mounting a filesystem doesn't cause the drive to spin
down (though "eject" should, IIRC).  WD Green drives have a short
spin-down period, and are more likely to spin down while not being accessed.

pmount is just a SUID wrapper around mount.  That is, it calls mount and
umount.  Whatever is keeping your drives from spinning down is almost
certainly unrelated to using pmount.

I'd suggest that you make the users who need to handle these disks
members of the "disk" group.  With that membership, they should be able
to run "eject" to safely remove the drives and cause them to spin down.