[CentOS] C7 postfix problem

Thu Jan 28 14:27:49 UTC 2016
Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler at riscworks.net>

On 01/28/2016 03:24 PM, Rainer Traut wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi,

> topology: java/tomcat app mailing to the outside via a C7 postfix
> relay server.
>
> problem: java app submits mail to postfix but there is _nothing_
> logged in the postfix maillog. This happen for 2/3 of all mail
> submitted. We cannot see any trace of this submitted mail either
> incoming/stored/outgoing.
>
> Log from java app (shortened): DEBUG: getProvider() returning
> javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun

Microsystems, Inc]
> DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true DEBUG SMTP: trying to
> connect to host "xxxxxxxx", port 25, isSSL false DEBUG SMTP:
> Attempt to authenticate AUTH LOGIN 235 2.7.0 Authentication
> successful DEBUG SMTP: use8bit false DEBUG SMTP: Verified Addresses
> DATA 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF> ****message text*** 250
> 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 8D83AC2756DF QUIT 221 2.0.0 Bye
>
> Log from the postfix server: [root at xxx postfix]# grep 8D83AC2756DF
> /var/log/maillog [root at xxx postfix]#
>
> This happens for 2/3 of all messages send to this server.
>
> Any idea what is happening here?

first, I'd recommend to increase debug level of postfix (if it doesn't
totally flood your logs):

/etc/postfix/master.cf:

# Postfix master process configuration file.  For details on the format
# of the file, see the master(5) manual page (command: "man 5 master").
#
# Do not forget to execute "postfix reload" after editing this file.
#
#
==
# service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command + args
#               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (100)
#
==
smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -v <= !!!
#smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       1       postscreen
#smtpd     pass  -       -       n       -       -       smtpd

smtpd -v instead of smtpd -- that will hopefully give some more insight.

> Thx Rainer

Best,

T.