[CentOS] how to use python 2.7 by default instead python 2.6 on centos 6.8

Jon LaBadie jcu at labadie.us
Mon Jul 4 17:57:00 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 11:26:25AM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2016, John Hodrien wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Jul 2016, qw wrote:
> >
> > > centos 6.8 comes with python 2.6. But I want to use python 2.7 to build
> > > gstreamer sdk. I have built python 2.7 and installed it into my custom
> > > directory. How to set centos to use python 2.7 by default instead of python
> > > 2.6?
> >
> > Don't.  If you try to swap out the standard python with another one, expect
> > almost everything you hold dear to break.

Not a python programmer, so forgive my ignorance.

On my Fedora system python 2.7 and 3.? peacefully co-exist.
And I thought 2.6 and 2.7 did as well.

The python manpage lists a couple of environment variables
related to version.

Could you have both installed and when building or testing
set your environment to the desired version?

jon
Jon H. LaBadie                 jon at jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)
 Reston, VA  20190              (703) 935-6720 (C)