[CentOS] CentOS 6, iscsi,

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jul 7 17:31:05 UTC 2016

Hi, Todd,

Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane wrote:
> Thu Jul 7 14:47:23 UTC 2016, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>    I installed the iscsi packages, and I *thought* that the first thing
>> to do was configure /etc/tgt/target.conf. Am I wrong? Did I have to
>> configure iSNS on the RAID appliance?
>
> One thing to make sure you have straight is Target vs. Initiator [2], for
> me it originally felt like the names were backwards.  I would expect the
> physical RAID machine to be the Target. Was that your expectation too, as
> it is a little unclear from the para above?
>>
>>    All that I find on the web, incl. upstream docs, is to install it,
>> then start the service.
>
> It might have helped if you had pointed at which upstream docs... some are
> better than others on the same subject.

I was just googling on various sets of search terms... The one upstream
was a RH documentation on setting up iSCSI for RHEL5/6.

> When I did a test of it, I found starting with the Target creation doc [1]
>  and following with the Initiator doc[3] (each on different RH/CentOS
> boxes) helped me to figure it out.  BTW while in [1] they use /dev/vdb it
> works as well with real /dev/sd* or Logical Volumes, I don't recall
> _trying_ with PVs.

Yeah, well, about that... my RAID is an appliance - it's a JetStor, from
AC&NC (yes, that's an endorsement, I really like their hardware - it's
very reliable, and we've got some, hell, there's two we need to replace..
that are Ultra320 SCSI for real, to give you an idea of the reliability,
and their prices are very good). I've got docs for the JetStor, which
include setting up the target - I'm still trying to figure the identifier
name.

Thanks very much for the links - I'll be looking at them in a minute.

           mark