[CentOS] Hardware Support of CentOS 6: Mini-PC

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jul 12 10:57:22 UTC 2016

On 07/12/2016 03:36 AM, Yamaban wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:15, Walter H. wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> can CentOS 6.8 be run on a mini-PC like this?
>> https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/zbox-ci323-nano
>>
>> would like to configure this as a Firewall, and this should be instead of
>> my router (integratet firewall, NAT) and wlan-ap
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Walter
>
> Well, it's a "Braswell" gen cpu (Intel N3150), with accomp. chipset.
>
> Do yourself a favour and rethink that with Centos 7, due to very limited
> function with the kernels from Centos 6, esp regarding WLAN.
>
> And even the Centos 7 default kernels may not "fresh" enough.
> YMMV.
>
>  - Yamaban.

WRT CentOS 7, we are maintaining a very current LTS kernel for IoT
boards that works with CentOS 7 x86_64.

It should work well with new devices:

http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/experimental/

(Both i386 and x86_64 have the 4.4.x LTS kernel)

For CentOS 6, there are the ELRepo kernels (ML and LT):

http://elrepo.org/linux/kernel/el6/

and the xen kernel:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/virt/x86_64/

Thanks,