[CentOS] CentOS 6, mptfusion software?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jul 12 17:41:25 UTC 2016

On 7/12/2016 10:19 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>     Got an older Dell R410, with an LSI 1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS
> (rev 08). It*appears*  that a) trying MegaRaid, and b) from what I'm
> googling, that what I need are mptfusion-related packages.
> Unfortunately, yum shows me nothing available in base, epel, or
> rpmfusion. Am I looking for the wrong thing, or does anyone have a
> source (no, I haven't looked at LSI, sorry Avago's website, which I
> don't find overly friendly...)

wait, a 1068E is not a megaraid, thats a HBA (host bus adapter) with
optional very limited raid in firmware (typically raid0, 1, 10 only).
Those have two firmware sets, IR or IT, if your card has the IR
firmware, do yourself a favor, find the "IT" Firmware on Avago's
webpile, and reflash the card with it, and now its a straight SAS card,
your disks are seen as native SAS drives, and you can use linux native
mdraid on it (and/or LVM or whatever).   I believe the 1068E was used on
the SAS3081/3082 cards

thats an older SAS1 card, and has 2TB disk limits, I believe, which
can't readily be circumvented.

Confusing, but to flash these, you need to get the
SAS3081ER_Package_P21_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows, unzip it,
and locate the firmware and BIOS files for IT mode, then get the
flash2sas utility for Linux to actually flash the files.  or flash it
using MSDOS (freedos on a usb stick) or using EFI shell (if your system
is so endowed).

to find this stuff, go here,
http://www.avagotech.com/support/download-search   select "Legacy Host
Bus Adapters", and LSI SAS 3081E-R, and Search...