[CentOS] LSI SATA MegaRaid & Centos 7 build 1511

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 17:59:30 UTC 2016

On 07/28/2016 03:42 PM, Fawzy Ibrahim wrote:
> So; there's no hope to install Centos 7 on this H/W?

You need to better identify the card and determine if it's one of the
drivers that was dropped.  If so, you'd have to build a driver disk and
maintain your own driver builds for each kernel update. It's not "no
hope" exactly, but it would probably take a moderate amount of
experience to keep running.

I'd be wary of hardware used as far back as CentOS 5, but I don't see
driver changes between RHEL 6 and 7 that I'd expect to impact an LSI
Megaraid card.  The old "megaraid" driver was dropped in RHEL 6, leaving
just the megaraid_sas driver in 6 and 7.  If you run release 6 on that
system (boot a live image), look at "lspci" and "lsmod" output.  The
latter will tell you what drivers are in use, and should be useful to
tracking down support in release 7.