[CentOS] CentOS 6, mptfusion software?

Tue Jul 12 18:04:11 UTC 2016

On Tue, July 12, 2016 12:52 pm, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Hi, John,
>
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 7/12/2016 10:19 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>>     Got an older Dell R410, with an LSI 1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT
>>> SAS
>>> (rev 08). It*appears*  that a) trying MegaRaid, and b) from what I'm
>>> googling, that what I need are mptfusion-related packages.
>>> Unfortunately, yum shows me nothing available in base, epel, or
>>> rpmfusion. Am I looking for the wrong thing, or does anyone have a
>>> source (no, I haven't looked at LSI, sorry Avago's website, which I
>>> don't find overly friendly...)
>>
>> wait, a 1068E is not a megaraid, thats a HBA (host bus adapter) with
>> optional very limited raid in firmware (typically raid0, 1, 10 only).
>> Those have two firmware sets, IR or IT, if your card has the IR
>> firmware, do yourself a favor, find the "IT" Firmware on Avago's
>> webpile, and reflash the card with it, and now its a straight SAS card,
>> your disks are seen as native SAS drives, and you can use linux native
>> mdraid on it (and/or LVM or whatever).   I believe the 1068E was used on
>> the SAS3081/3082 cards
>
> Ahhh! Thanks, that's a useful bit of info.
>>
>> thats an older SAS1 card, and has 2TB disk limits, I believe, which
>> can't readily be circumvented.
>>
>> Confusing, but to flash these, you need to get the
>> SAS3081ER_Package_P21_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows, unzip it,
>> and locate the firmware and BIOS files for IT mode, then get the
>> flash2sas utility for Linux to actually flash the files.  or flash it
>> using MSDOS (freedos on a usb stick) or using EFI shell (if your system
>> is so endowed).
>>
>> to find this stuff, go here,
>> http://www.avagotech.com/support/download-search   select "Legacy Host
>> Bus Adapters", and LSI SAS 3081E-R, and Search...
>>
> I'll mention it to my manager. However, much more important is finding
> something that will tell me *which* drive in a RAID just failed so I can
> replace it....

In worst case scenario, you can reboot the machine and upon boot use key
combination to go into controller BIOS settings, there you should be able
to see which drive failed (Ctrl + H or similar, it will tell you which
keys). I doubt Dell tweaked that away from what LSI has, even though LSI
firmware _is_ tweaked by Dell. You can trust that Dell counts drives from
left to right (wen you look at machine front panel). I don't remember
client utility name that will give you access to this information when
system is running (interface of which is obscure to avoid saying nastier
words, so it is easy to royally screw up in it... that's why I love 3ware
- which has passed away, alas).

Valeri