[CentOS] Problem with Firefox and SSH/browser

cpolish at surewest.net cpolish at surewest.net
Thu Jun 2 15:54:46 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-02 09:59, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> > On 2016-06-01 09:53, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> > > I have a problem, shame on me I feel as newbie, I cannot open Firefox
> > > though ssh.
> > >
> > > ssh server is 7.2 and ssh client (running Xorg) is Fedora 23. Firefox
> > does
> > > not open. I've tried a lot of methods, even adding xauth cookie, and for
> > > example:
> > >
> > > firefox --no-remote --no-xshm
> > <snip />
> >
> > Can you post the exact command used, for example:
> >    ssh -Y remotehostname /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
>
> I've tried:
>
> ssh -vvv -Y -X user at sshserver

... which doesn't invoke firefox? Maybe try:

    localserver $ ssh -Y username at servername
    sshserver $ xterm

to see if the problem is with firefox, or with the X connection.

Also check that package xorg-x11-xauth is installed (it
probably is).

    localserver $ ssh -Y username at servername
    sshserver $ rpm -q xorg-x11-xauth
    xorg-x11-xauth-1.0.9-1.el7.x86_64

If possible, log into a console session on the
ssh server and see if firefox launches locally there.

Also check the environment on the remote system (ssh server)
is set correctly once you've ssh'd to it:

    localserver $ ssh -Y username at servername
    sshserver $ echo $DISPLAY
    localhost:10.0

Also check that the remote username is permitted access
to the local X server:

    localserver $ xhost +
    localserver $ ssh -Y username at servername
    sshserver $ firefox

Note that this leaves localserver X server -wide-open-
from a security standpoint, so must be reversed after
testing:

    localserver $ xhost -

Hope that helps,
--