[CentOS] FYI: http

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 2 21:25:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, June 2, 2016 2:58 pm, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I just had to browse to a printer... and with https-use-strict at a server
> higher up, firefox *would* *not* let me get there. I don't see the
> circa-2012 printer offering https.
>
> Luckily, there was konqueror, which *did* let me go to http://<printer>
>
> I just *adore* SmartSoftware that Won't Let You Endanger Yourself....
> Reminds me of Jack Williamson's old novel, The Humanoids. (You aren't
> allowed to use that sharp knife, you might cut yourself. Or drive
> yourself. Or....)

Mark, I fully agree with you... I wish we all were venting out this onto
Mozilla Foundation directorate.

<rant>
I for one am looking for decent replacement for firefox for at least 5
years (no, do not suggest chrome, or google anything, please), still
without success. The bizarre with Firefox started shortly after a guy I
know (as undergraduate student in our Department) became production
director of Mozilla Foundation. Not that I'm saying he is to blame, but
what I know about him lies exactly in what I observe happening with
firefox (to add to what you mentioned: rushing "release" after "release"
without decent debugging...).
To add to that, how do you like the behavior of browsers: doing search on
what you put into location bar, instead of jut going directly to that
location? Helps filling search providers databases, especially if they fed
you unexpiring cookie. But not all of search engines do that crap,
duckduckgo doesn't as far as I know.
</rant>

Anyway, question for everybody: does anybody know decent browser to
replace Firefox? (Please, do not offer google chrome, thank you again). I
use midori for quite some time, I didn't fully switch over to midori from
Firefox, however. I didn't get alone with konqueror somehow (didn't spent
much time with it though), tried vivaldi browser and didn't like it (not
to mention: closed source...)

Valeri

>           mark

Valeri Galtsev