[CentOS] HFSPlus Question

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 06:24:08 UTC 2016

On 03/06/16 04:45, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2016, 7:59 PM Albert McCann <albert.mccann at outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In CentOS 7.2.1511 does the 3.10.0-327.18.2.el7.centos.plus.x86_64 (Plus)
>> kernel read HFSPlus iMac drives? I don't see any hfsplus modules installed
>> anywhere, so I suspect not.
>

> It's in mainline so I don't know why it would not be built. It certainly
> exists on Fedora. You could get Fedora live image, dd to a USB stick and it
> will boot the Mac.

There are a lot of modules in the equivalent mainline kernel that are
not enabled / built in the RHEL kernel, reason being RH don't want the
extra workload of maintaining (backporting fixes) those drivers for the
10 year lifespan of the product, long after upstream support at
kernel.org has ended.

In this case they probably determined it unlikely that a user would want
to hook an HFSPlus volume up to a RHEL server. They also disabled a
whole bunch of 100Mbit ethernet drivers commonly found on older desktop
motherboards in RHEL7 for the same reason.