[CentOS] for loop example

Indunil Jayasooriya

indunil75 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 05:41:21 UTC 2016

Hi list,

Can you look in to this?

[root at centos67 loop]# cat file1
firstname1
firstname2

[root at centos67 loop]# cat file2
lastname1
lastname2

I need a OUTPUT like this

*firstname1 lastname1firstname2 lastname2*

But I try the below command , i get below output.  what is the real command
to get the above output

[root at centos67 loop]# for line1 in $(cat file1 ); do for line2 in $(cat
file2 ); do echo "$line1" "$line2";done;done;
firstname1 lastname1
firstname1 lastname2
firstname2 lastname1
firstname2 lastname2

And also, I created a file3 like this

[root at centos67 loop]# cat file3
firstname1 lastname1
firstname2 lastname2

How can I get the same OUTPUT ?

*firstname1 lastname1firstname2 lastname2*

if I try below command, i get the below output.

[root at centos67 loop]# for i in $(cat file3);do echo $i;done;
firstname1
lastname1
firstname2
lastname2

Could you pls help me to solve this ? THIS is very important to me.

--
cat /etc/motd

Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya