[CentOS] remote backup

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jun 9 21:17:21 UTC 2016

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 6/9/2016 1:16 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> That's what "middle of the night maintenance window" is for.
>
> in today's 24/7 global business world, there is no middle of the night,
> its midday *somewhere*.

You pick the least buy day/time. For example, when I was supporting the
City of Chicago 911 system, 16 years ago, they'd let us schedule software
upgrades for Mon night, between 02:00  and 06:00. Tuesday, and then
Thursday, were second and third choice - that's when there were the least
number of calls. And allow me to venture to suggest that life-or-death
calls to a 911 ctr (the calltakers went back to cards during that time)
wasn't more important than world-wide business....

Besides, if it's that big a business, management *really* needs to spring
for a hot spare complete system, to deal with hardware outages, and there
should be mirrored d/bs, and *those* could be taken down, copied, and then
brought back online and all the transactions that had been done while it
was down updated to the backup.

        mark