[CentOS] Getting hibernate to work on a new CentOS 7.2.1115 install

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jun 13 18:54:44 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:

> On 12/06/16 16:45, Globe Trotter wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am a new CentOS user (quite familiar with Fedora 1-23+) and I decided to
>> try a new install of CentOS on a ASUS R503U.
>>
>> However, I can not get hibernate to work. I try:
>> systemctl hibenaate
>> and I get:
>> Failed to execute operation: sleep verb not supported
>> Btw, the problem does not go away with super-user.
>>
>> I was wondering how to get around this issue. I would like the abililty to
>> hibernate and come back in the last state.
>> Thanks!

cat /sys/power/state
cat /sys/power/disk

The first should include 'disk' and the second should say enabled or
some such. Note that hibernation is probably not supported by the
CentOS kernel if this is on a UEFI computer with Secure Boot enabled
(it's not supported by Fedora kernels) as it's a possible vector to
defeat the point of Secure Boot.

systemd does check to see if there's enough unused swap to fit
Active(anon) mem into for hibernation, and if not then hibernation
won't be possible.

And yet another thing is that it's possible the initramfs isn't using
resume=<hibernationimagedevice> which is currently a problem on
Fedora. So you might need to add this to the grub.cfg on the kernel
command line, something like resume=/dev/VG/swap or wherever it is. If
it's a /dev/sdXY, i.e. on a regular partition, then use UUID.

--
Chris Murphy