[CentOS] Today's firefox update

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jun 17 11:56:05 UTC 2016

On 06/17/2016 01:42 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 07:32:19 +0100
> Ned Slider wrote:
>
>>> Johnny's announcement refers to:
>>> firefox-45.2.0-1.el5.centos.src.rpm
>>> firefox-45.2.0-1.el6.centos.src.rpm
>>> firefox-45.2.0-1.el7.centos.src.rpm
>>>
>>> The linked rhel webpage refers to:
>>> firefox-45.2.0-1.el5_11.src.rpm
>>> firefox-45.2.0-1.el6_8.src.rpm
>>> firefox-45.2.0-1.el7_2.src.rpm
>>>
>>> These do not appear to be the same thing.  Note the numbers just before
>>> the .src part of the filenames.
>>>

>> CentOS drop the underscore part of the dist tag when they rebuild them.
>> Checking the changelog should confirm they are the same.
>
> But we already had a firefox-45.2.0-1 rpm issued a week back:
>
> $ rpm -qi firefox
> Name        : firefox
> Version     : 45.2.0
> Release     : 1.el7.centos
> Architecture: x86_64
> Install Date: Wed 08 Jun 2016 08:26:44 PM CST
> Group       : Applications/Internet
> Size        : 149250172
> License     : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
> Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Wed 08 Jun 2016 05:19:42 PM CST, Key ID 24c6a8a7f4a80eb5
> Source RPM  : firefox-45.2.0-1.el7.centos.src.rpm
>
> Therefore, yum won't find this latest update (as far as I can tell, anyway).

Yes .. the announcements were stuck in the outbound queue .. and the
CentOS-7 one had to be regenerated.  The actual RPMs where released last
week when they were built. (The announcements were delayed).

When the CentOS team changes a package for debranding, except the kernel
which has to have the exact same name for 3rd Party Modules or Drivers,
we change the dist tag to .el7.centos (or .el6.centos or .el5.centos).
We do this to denote that the package has been modified.

We only modify packages in the BASE operating system for debranding to
meet the redistribution requirements of Red Hat Software (Specifically,
see the Trademark information here):

https://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/corp/trademark1.pdf

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes