[CentOS] https and self signed

Александр Кириллов nevis2us at infoline.su
Fri Jun 17 17:57:18 UTC 2016

>> Then OCSP stapling is the way to go but it could be a real PITA to
>> setup for the first time and may not be supported by older browsers
>> anyway.
>>
> not really, because the same server tells the client that the SSL
> certificate is good, as the SSL certificate itself;
> these must be independent;

Says who? Yes, the OCSP response comes from the same server but it's
still signed by the issuer CA. OCSP stapling has been developed for a
number of reasons including user privacy concerns and I find those
reasons quite convincing. The need to revoke an issued certificate
before its expiration date is rare. CA error, transfer of the domain
ownership, loss of a private key... What else? Yet the origial OCSP
implementation gives the interested third parties the ability to track
browsing habits of unsuspecting visitors of the sites which do not
implement OCSP stapling. This is not to mention much higher traffic the
CAs will have to shoulder with the proliferation of secure sites.