[CentOS] .NET on Centos.

Warren Young wyml at etr-usa.com
Tue Jun 28 18:03:20 UTC 2016

On Jun 28, 2016, at 11:17 AM, Peter Q. <btoven66 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What will happen with Centos and .NET?

I’d expect it to show up in SCL at some point:

  https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL

Until then, the CentOS build instructions on Microsoft’s official download page work just fine, at least on EL7:

  https://www.microsoft.com/net/core#centos

RC3 apparently just shipped, which has caused some version incompatibilities in the .NET package repositories.  I was able to get the default C# “hello, world” project to build and run:

    $ mkdir test
    $ cd test
    $ dotnet new --lang c#
    $ dotnet restore
    $ dotnet build
    $ dotnet run
    Hello World!

...but the F# project (--lang f#) chokes due to a version incompatibility.  This should shake out soon.

Beware that .NET Core is not the same thing as .NET.  It is very much stripped down compared to the Windows .NET platform.  It is mainly intended for headless server-side applications, like serving ASP.NET sites.

> In the side of security and stability.

I’m guessing you’re asking if .NET Core will be secure.  I assume it will be as secure as any VM type interpreter, such as Java or Flash.  That is to say, theoretically quite secure, but in practice only as secure the platform’s maintainers put in the effort to make it secure.  My advice: wrap it in SELinux, VMs, chroots, etc., just as you would any other executable code you want walled off from the rest of your infrastructure.

As for stability, it’s still pre-1.0.  Don’t bet your business on it today.  If you need a stable .NET implementation for Linux today, use Mono.