[CentOS] .NET on Centos.

Tue Jun 28 17:52:20 UTC 2016
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 06/28/2016 12:17 PM, Peter Q. wrote:
> Hi there, I was reading about it.
> https://www.redhat.com/en/about/blog/net-core-now-available-and-supported-red-hat-enterprise-linux-and-red-hat-openshift
>
> What will happen with Centos and .NET?
> In the side of security and stability.

That announcement, and this website:

http://developers.redhat.com/dotnet/

Are both Microsoft and Red Hat initiatives / agreements.  The .NET being
discussed is in OpenShift containers running on Microsoft's Azure Cloud.

None of that is currently slated, to the best of my knowledge, to be
rolled into the Base distribution for RHEL.  Therefore it is also not
being  added into the CentOS Linux distribution.  If / when Red Hat does
add things into the base RHEL Server, Workstation, Desktop platforms and
releases the source code for it, we will of course rebuild that source
code and add the resulting software to CentOS Linux.

Another method of getting things into the CentOS universe is to start a
Special Interest Group that provides optional software to CentOS
repositories (Currently things like Xen support, GlusterFS, Ceph, RDO,
Software Collections, Opennfv, etc). I do not know of any current or
planned .NET SIG for CentOS.  There certainly could be one in the future
(if there is interest), or one of the current SIGs might need to bring
in .NET for developing software for their SIG.  But I currently know of
no one bringing it in.

Microsoft has stated that will also make .NET Core available for Ubuntu,
Debian and CentOS Linux.  That is not something that I know anything
about right now either.

The CentOS team certainly welcomes development software like .NET being
provided by the software owner for use on CentOS Linux.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes