[CentOS] 6.7 netinstall fails at insert cd to continue

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Mar 7 01:45:04 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 11:48 AM, g <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On 03/05/16 09:04, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> You don't say how you created the media.
>>
> --
>
> true, i did not say how i created cd's.
>
> i used k3b as it is easier, less to remember, than using command line.

OK.

> usb's sticks were created using unetbootin and fedora-liveusb-creator.
> yes, i did not mention that i tried with 2 usb sticks. failure was
> same, did not feel it mattered. failure is failure.

No, unetbootin is pretty unreliable. I've actually not had it work
reliably with Fedora ISOs since forever, but I mainly use (U)EFI
systems is possibly why, but it doesn't appear to rewrite the
bootloader stuff correctly at all. At this point I've totally given up
on it.

Fedora liveusb-creator ought to work. But... And it's also currently
undergoing a rewrite. The most reliable way to create USB stick media
for CentOS and Fedora is dd.

>> Also netinstall used the network as source, not from CD/DVD. So you
>> should just leave the source selection on default.
>>
> --
>
> so you are saying that netinstall is incorrectly written because it ask
> for a cd and not an internet connection?

Seems suspicious to me yes. A netinstall uses a network source, there
are no packages on the netinstall media itself.

> i would think that the dev's
> would have corrected the wording being that netinstall has been a part
> of last 2 or 3 versions.
>
> 'selection on default'? do not recall seeing anything related to such.

OK I just ran the CentOS 6.7 netinstall ISO in gnome-boxes and it's
not the graphical anaconda that I'm used to with Fedora. There's an
"installation method" and it has Local CD/DVD selected at the top, but
that clearly needs to be set to URL or it's simply not a netinstall.
And then you need to give it a URL for a mirror, like this:
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2011/centos-6-netinstall-network-installation/

This is preconfigured in Fedora for their netinstalls. I have no idea
how CentOS does it, but it doesn't appear to be ready to go.

--
Chris Murphy