[CentOS] Openshot 2.x (beta) on C7??

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Mar 10 19:15:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 01:52:43PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:27:07AM -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm interested in trying out the new OpenShot beta (2.06) on CentOS 7.
> > > Openshot requires Python3.
> > >
> > > so I look at available packages where I find a bunchof python3 packages
> > > as well as python34 packages.
> > >
> > > I'm assuming that python34 is version 3.4 of python, while python3 is some
> > > other 3.x version.
> > >
> > > Can anyone here explain to me what are the differences, any compatibility
> > > across these versions, and how to tell which I need for OpenShot?
> > >

> > The dependencies section of OpenShot 2 beta README says:
> >
> >  Python 3.0+
> >
> > So, I would assume either one (python3 or python34) would work. But I have
> > not tried building it under EL7 myself (on my ToDo list though).
> >
> > Akemi
>
> thanks, Akemi!
>
> Related question:
> there are only a relative few python34 packages listed in yum, and quite
> a few more python3 packages. I wonder if (some of??) those python3
> packages are compatible with python34? it would seem that unless that
> is the case, that python34 would be less useful due to lack of various
> features.

Looks like installing openshot 2.x on C7 isn't as trivial as one
might wish. it requires PyQt5k, which isn't in centos repos, nor in
epel, nux, or elrepo. googling indicates it's hard to build on C7.

:-(

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?