[CentOS] Centos and automatic update on server

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Mar 11 18:58:32 UTC 2016

Sorry, <enter> accidentally got hit before I finished.

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> Hi list, I know that there are automatic update with yum-cron but never
>> tried.
>> In my experiences I never did automatic backup because if update was
>> broken
>> my installation will be broken and I wait some time before apply update.
>> Today seems to be that automatic update are used more than before.
>> What do you think about automatic update? It is a good practice on a
>> server? What is your experiences?
>
> 1. Under *NO* *CIRCUMSTANCES* would I *ever* have that running on
>     a production machine. That's what test boxes are for.
> 2. If it was my own machine at home, thanks, but I want to wake up,
>     or come home, to a guaranteed working system. I'll update, so
> I can always undo.

  3. Systems like backup servers, etc, sure. They're not critical.
  4. We don't do it on users' systems unless we're *sure* that
        it won't break something.

Finally, on systems where there is a concern that something might break,
like video drivers, we put excludes in /etc/yum.conf, and disable them
under controlled conditions (i.e., one of us is sitting there doing it.)

        mark