[CentOS] C7 + UEFI + GPT + RAID1

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 00:04:42 UTC 2016

On 03/12/2016 08:22 AM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> From several how-to concerning raid1 installation, I must put each
> partition on a different md devices.

Not necessarily.  You could put LVM on top of the RAID device, and
create logical volumes.

> I've asked times ago if it's more correct create the md device,
> partitioning it and create fs on each partition created on md device:

Partitionable RAID devices are supported by Linux, but not by the
Anaconda installer.  You're better off not using them.

> I'm installing C7 1511 on a skylake machine with UEFI and I'm confused.
> After googling, for my installation I must create gpt table, 1
> partition with fat32 type of 512M, and 2 partition for swap and /
> (I've excluded /home), clone gpt partition table on second disk with
> sgdisk, create md device for swap and /.

Don't clone the partitions.  If you do that, then you also need to
randomize the UUIDs on the destination drive.  It's probably easier to
just create the partitions on each disk:

parted -s /dev/sda mklabel gpt \
     mkpart primary ext4 1M 200M \
     mkpart primary ext4 200M 1224M \
     mkpart primary ext4 1224M 100%