[CentOS] Centos and automatic update on server

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Mar 14 13:36:22 UTC 2016

On 03/11/2016 12:41 PM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> Hi list, I know that there are automatic update with yum-cron but never
> tried.
> In my experiences I never did automatic backup because if update was broken
> my installation will be broken and I wait some time before apply update.
> Today seems to be that automatic update are used more than before.
> What do you think about automatic update? It is a good practice on a
> server? What is your experiences?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Alessandro

We run an automatic yum update nightly on most of the centos
infrastructure servers.

When I managed IT for an engineering firm, for the production machines I
would never automate updates though.

I would have a test environment and run my own local mirror and only put
things onto the local mirror that passed through my test system and worked.