[CentOS] Very odd issue w/ a CentOS 6 system

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Wed Mar 23 13:20:21 UTC 2016

Now, this is one we have an issue with: it's got a bttv card, and motion
running on it. It's a Dell PE R720. For some reason, it has never liked
the card: 20 min after reboot, it says fatal bus error... but nothing's
wrong, and it runs just fine. Well, expect that we need to keep it on the
2.6.32-431.20.3 kernel, because *everything* later, it randomly starts
rebooting, several times a day.

But we've never had anything like this, and I've never seen anything like
this: the bttv module was throwing a ton of IRQ lockup errors. Restarting
motion didn't help. So I was wondering if the issue was with the bttv
kernel module, so I rmmoded that, then modprobe bttv... and that was all
she wrote. The system lost network connectivity.

Ok, I go over to the rack, and plug in the monitor-on-a-stick, and that's
where it got very strange, and I've never seen anything like this: I turn
up the monitor... and see it announcing it had seen a new USB device (the
keyboard)... and no login, it kept printing
copying data  [<percentage done>%]
When it hit 100%, it rebooted.

So - has anyone ever seen this behavior? Anyone have an idea what it was
copying?

        mark