[CentOS] Centos and automatic update on server

Alice Wonder

alice at domblogger.net
Tue Mar 15 07:20:05 UTC 2016

On 03/14/2016 06:36 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 03/11/2016 12:41 PM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> Hi list, I know that there are automatic update with yum-cron but never
>> tried.
>> In my experiences I never did automatic backup because if update was broken
>> my installation will be broken and I wait some time before apply update.
>> Today seems to be that automatic update are used more than before.
>> What do you think about automatic update? It is a good practice on a
>> server? What is your experiences?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Alessandro
>
> We run an automatic yum update nightly on most of the centos
> infrastructure servers.
>
> When I managed IT for an engineering firm, for the production machines I
> would never automate updates though.
>
> I would have a test environment and run my own local mirror and only put
> things onto the local mirror that passed through my test system and worked.

I sort of do that - I have a custom local repo and when something in an
update causes breakage (can't remember the last time) I google for the
problem online and find a fix and rebuild the src.rpm appending a .1 to
the end of release so it looks newer.

So I don't exclude things from CentOS or EPEL, I just add things to
it... right now all my custome repo really has in it is solitaire and a
texlive fake package that fakes out packages with require texlive (I run
vanilla texlive managed by their utility, I don't like texlive as a
zillion different RPMs)

Honestly though I haven't personally experienced a breakage as a result
of a package update in years, and when it happens it almost always is
EPEL where the maintainer did a major version bump.