[CentOS] Pi 2 Alternatives

Tue Mar 1 04:11:45 UTC 2016
Gener Badenas <gener.ong.badenas at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:45 AM, Tris Hoar <trishoar at bgfl.org> wrote:

> On 04/02/2016 15:33, Chris Olson wrote:
>
>> We have a requirement for a new application that will be used
>> fixed, portable, and mobile.  The hardware requirements drive
>> the need for networking as well as some general purpose and
>> special purpose interfaces.  The software requirements are
>> quite simple in comparison to many of our much larger systems
>> with similar hardware requirements.  We are not significantly
>> restricted in choice of storage peripherals or other devices
>> that may be needed.
>>
>> We believe that a small, single board computer will meet all
>> requirements as long as it can run Linux.  We have identified
>> the need for approximately six prototyping units to support
>> the initial production of about 200 to 300 operational systems.
>> Our development and deployment time frame does not drive the
>> need for an extremely rapid product decision, and there are
>> pre-planned upgrade cycles over the next five years.
>>
>> An internal group has achieved a significant head of steam in
>> support of using the Pi 2 Model B.  The support enthusiasm may
>> be partly technical and partly the hype associated with jumping
>> into the Pi community.  The number of suppliers does appear to
>> support our supply chain and sustainment requirements, however
>> the Linux available for the Pi 2 does not appear to be optimal.
>> It would be better if there were choices that include a standard
>> Linux distribution such as CentOS.
>>
>> This certainly seems like one of those situations where a trade
>> of single board computer products is appropriate and achievable.
>> There are products similar to the Pi 2 capable of running a more
>> standard Linux distribution that we might consider.  Does anyone
>> have an experience-based single board computer recommendation?

There are many single board computers around that can run Linux fine.  But
I would still personally go for Pi's because it is mainstream and lots of
available resources around.  If certain features are not available to fit
your needs, Pi 3 is now available.  I think it now supports wi-fi, in case
your project need that networking capability.