[CentOS] kernel parm question: MPS? pcie_bus_safe

Fri Mar 4 16:20:29 UTC 2016

I'm fighting a long-standing problem: we've got a Dell PE R720 with a
BT878 card in it, running four surveillance cameras (it's a secure room).
Since I put the card in, within 20-30 min, the box's little LCD screen
goes orange, and complains "bus error" on the slot the card's in; I've
moved it to different slot, no joy. Note that the same card in an older
Penguin (rebranded Supermicro) has no issues.

Where it's been serious is for the last six or so months, if we use the
2.6.32-431.20.3.el6.x86_64 kernel, it pretty much stays up; every single
newer kernel, and it will start rebooting, a number of times per day.

So, I'm hoping to find a runtime kernel parm I can set, or it might be
something I can set using ipmitool. However, in googling, I found one or
two folks setting pcie_bus_safe to resolve what I see with ipmitool sel
list.

What I cannot find is what MPS is an acronym off... I've seen references
to metal performance shaders, and to an LSI fusion driver. Can someone set
me straight on this?

Any suggestions would also be very appreciated.

       mark