[CentOS] C7 + UEFI + GPT + RAID1

Sat Mar 12 16:22:12 UTC 2016
Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com>

Hi list,
I'm new with UEFI and GPT.
For several years I've used MBR partition table. I've installed my
system on software raid1 (mdadm) using md0(sda1,sdb1) for swap,
md1(sda2, sdb2) for /, md2 (sda3,sdb3) for /home.  From several how-to
concerning raid1 installation, I must put each partition on a different
md devices. I've asked times ago if it's more correct create the md
device, partitioning it and create fs on each partition created on md
device:

mdadm create /dev/md0 ...
fdisk /dev/md0:
md0p1 swap
md0p2 /	    xfs
md0p3 /home xfs

or create for each partition an md device and create the fs on mdX
device directly:

mdadm create /dev/md[012].....
mkfs.fs /dev/mdX (for each md device)
md0 swap
md1 /
md2 /home

I got as answer that the second solution is the correct solution.

I'm installing C7 1511 on a skylake machine with UEFI and I'm confused.
After googling, for my installation I must create gpt table, 1 partition
with fat32 type of 512M, and 2 partition for swap and / (I've excluded
/home), clone gpt partition table on second disk with sgdisk, create md
device for swap and /.

I've created gpt partition table with:

1) part1 512m fat32 EFI-part
2) part2 8gb raid  swap
3) part3 ~500gb raid /

then I've cloned gpt of sda to sdb without problem.

Then I've created array md0 for swap and md1 for / and then rebooted the
system.

I've started installation process.
During disk selection I get only one disk tagged as MDRAID disk and not
sda and sdb. Selecting MDRAID disk I can't see sda1 sdb1 EFI-part, md0
and md1 devices.

Going to console, cat /proc/mdstat give me only md1. If I try to start
md0 mdadm says sda2: not such file or directory but the partition exists
on /dev/sda.
Coming back to Installer, it forces me to create partitions on MDRAID
(md1) disk and I create:

md1p1 EFI
md1p2 swap
md1p3 /

Installation was performed an system booted.

Now, on this machine with mbr partition type I get md0 (sda1, sdb1) and
md1 (sda2, sdb2)
on uefi machine with gpt I get md1 (sda, sdb).
I've tried also installing with mbr before using gpt, and I got md0
(sda1, sdb1), md1(sdb2, sda2) and the other 2 partition for EFI as
expected. But with mbr installer said me that It gpt was needed.

Why using gpt, if I set two raid partition, create 2 raid, rebooting it
gives me that md1 has sda and sdb instead sda2 and sdb2 and other md is
dead?

What is the correct method to install on RAID? 1 md device and create
partition on it or N md devices for N partition?

Why using gpt I get only one disk on disk selection (mdraid device), not
the 2 physical disk, and not the 2 md raid created?

Hope in help.

Alessandro.