[CentOS] Odd behavior of a CentOS 7 box after repair of an external RAID

Fri Mar 25 14:55:28 UTC 2016

I don't think I've seen this with CentOS 6 or 5, but I had to repair an
external RAID box this morning. The server, running CentOS 7, has an  LSI
HBA card in it, and it's presented to the system as /dev/sdb. I shut off
the RAID controller, powered it off, did the repair, then plugged
everything back in (that includes the two fiber cables and the ethernet),
and brought the RAID back up. I even used its web page to restart the
controller (in the RAID box.

I couldn't remount the drive until I rebooted the server.

I tried scsi-rescan-bus, and nothing. In the logs, I saw it try to mount
it, then unmount it, and complain that the drive wasn't active.

I was expecting it to act like a hot-swap device. Any clues as to why,
rather than see it removed, it continued to see it as "inactive"?

       mark