[CentOS] no gnome-applets in C7.2

Tue Mar 8 15:44:26 UTC 2016
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 03/08/2016 06:49 AM, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2016-03-07, ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:
>> Weird.  There seems to be quite a bit of software missing from C7.2,
>> gnome-applets being one of them.  Or has it been moved or renamed or
>> otherwise obscured?
>>
>> tia
>
> Since gnome-panel and 'flashback' mode have been removed from GNOME 3,
> gnome-applets is no longer required or available. Much of the
> functionality of traditional applets is available by means of extensions
> to gnome-shell. See the various gnome-shell-extension-* packages.

Thanks, Liam.  I checked those out, downloaded a handful of them, and
tried some out.  But couldn't get any of the functionality out of them
that I was looking for.  E.g., previously (C5.9) there were nice, little
applets to:

- show the current weather; click on for forecasts and weather maps;

- selecting to paste buffer from several sets of odd characters and
characters and characters from foreign languages;

- icons, clicking on which could fire virtually any executable on the
system;

- "drawers", clicking on which popped an entire column of any of the above;

- and probably some other things I'm not remembering.

I'm still not finding any of that in C7.2... it's like this "upgrade" is
several steps backwards from the functionality in earlier CentOS
version.  Or am I missing something?