[CentOS] 32 bit programs and libraries on a 64 bit architecture

Wed Mar 9 23:05:58 UTC 2016
g <geleem at bellsouth.net>

--

ok. i am rounding up the horses now. ;-)

reinstalled all the wine i686. i have only used wine about 5 times from
day of it's 'birth', but at least i now have 32 bit back if i ever need it.

--

for this one, went back over 'man yum', found;

  history
        The history command allows the user to view what has happened in
        past transactions (assuming the history_record config. option is
        set). You can use  info/list/packages-list/packages-info/summary
        to  view what happened, undo/redo/rollback to act on that infor-
        mation and new to start a new history file.

to check that history was enabled, ran 'grep' in /etc and /etc/yum/*, all
i found is;

  yum]$ sudo grep history *
  [sudo] password for geo:
  aliases.conf:h  history
  aliases.conf:hi history info
  aliases.conf:hl history list
  aliases.conf:hs history summary
  aliases.conf:hp history package-list

  yum]$ sudo grep record *
  grep: pluginconf.d: Is a directory
  grep: protected.d: Is a directory
  grep: vars: Is a directory

nothing to enable history_record. ran 'yum history', history showed
usage 7 thru 26, so no problem. should have done that to start with.

as for drive space, diff before and after removal was about 200M in a
14.7GB partition. so no, no advantage, other than a lot of the i686 was
also x86_64.

reason all this came about was trying to update the x86_64 nss-util and
yumex complained about the i686 nss-util.

as for rest, like you say, i will find out what i686 i need when i run
various progs.

another day in my life has been blessed with more learning and a bit
wiser.

Gordon, thank you for replying and your advice. much appreciated.

--
peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.7

tc,hago.