[CentOS] Openshot 2.x (beta) on C7??

Fri Mar 11 15:53:29 UTC 2016
Chris Beattie <cbeattie at geninfo.com>

On 3/11/2016 2:02 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>> Looks like installing openshot 2.x on C7 isn't as trivial
>>
>> It is not trivial at all. The best way to handle this will be to find the
>> required packages in Fedora and rebuild them.
>
> So what's the easy way?
>
> Switch to Ubuntu or something? 8-O

Maybe Fedora, maybe Ubuntu?  It's more time-consuming than hard to build a virtual machine these days, and it's not even that time-consuming.  Is there a distro that already has what you want all packaged up?  Run it in a VM.  Take a snapshot first if you want to try something potentially system-breaking or that's going to spew files everywhere.  On a single-user machine, the performance should be within a few percent of running on the bare metal.  So, if you test drive some beta software and it doesn't perform well on a VM, it's probably not going to be much better running on a same-spec physical machine.

NB: I administer several hundred virtual desktops, so I chugged rather than sipped the virtualization Kool-Aid.  :-)

--
-Chris