[CentOS] CentOS 7 and display managers

Fri Mar 11 17:16:38 UTC 2016
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 10:52:12 -0600 (CST)
Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> > Fascinating. Not in ours. It displays our issue, and in the upper left,
> > some icons that let you deal with sound, I think, connection, maybe, and I
> > forget what else.
>
> In my case the gear which when clicked of gives you drop down choices of
> Desktop Environments (DE) installed appears only after I click on
> particular user. In other words, when user has password field, he also has
> a gear to click on to choose DE.

With gdm the gear only shows up if you have more than one whatever.session file in /usr/share/xsessions.  gnome-classic-session and gnome-session-xsession provides this file for gnome sessions,  mate-session-manager provides it for mate, and I don't know what provides it for kde.

lightdm is a lot more configurable than gdm, and it's easy to use that instead:

systemctl disable gdm
systemctl enable lightdm
systemctl isolate graphical.target

Then you can easily configure /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf to do pretty much what you want it to do. I haven't yet figured out how to get rid of the blank photo man beside the password prompt, though.