[CentOS] Very odd issue w/ a CentOS 6 system

Wed Mar 23 19:37:05 UTC 2016
Phil Wyett <philwyett at irregulars-engineering.com>

On Wed, 2016-03-23 at 15:16 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Phil Wyett wrote:
> > On Wed, 2016-03-23 at 10:26 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> <snip>

> >> lspci says:
> >> Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)

> >> On and off, I've been googling to find if there's something I can tell
> >> it,or the kernel on boot. Currently, I have, in /etc/modprobe.d/bttv:
> >> options i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1
> >> options bttv gbuffers=16 card=98,98,98,98,98,98,98,98
> >> radio=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 tuner=4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4 chroma_agc=1 combfilter=2
> >> full_luma_range=1 coring=1
> >
> > The options line 1 is used widely and only worth changing if all else
> > fails.
> >
> > The second options line option of combfilter by docs indicate there is
> > no 2 option and is enabled by default, so you can remove that option to
> > test.
> >
> > I would enable two possible compatibility options and see if that helps.
> >
> > triton1=0/1 - for Triton1 (+others) compatibility.
> >
> > vsfx=0/1 - yet another chipset bug compatibility bit
> >
> > The triton1 insmod option sets the EN_TBFX bit in the control register.
> > The vsfx insmod option does the same for EN_VSFX bit. If you have
> > stability problems you can try if one of these options makes your box
> > work solid.
> >
> > Source: http://xawdecode.sourceforge.net/aideUS/htmlpage/BTTV-param.htm
> >

> Ok, I've been doing some research, partly refreshing my memory, since we
> bought these 2-3 years ago. As you note, above, it *says* it's an iTuner
> Spectra8; *however*, when I look at bttv-cards.c, what I see is that *it*
> thinks that such a card has *one* video and one audio. In fact, this is a
> Bt878, and it has *four* inputs for each, with four chips on the card, one
> for each channel. The nearest thing to it *appears* to be a Provideo
> PV150, card=98 (which is why I have that card= line in the bttv.conf).
>
> Now that I'm thinking about it, and while googling, I looked for the
> provideo 150, and what *should* have been the link took me to one for a
> provideo 950, with *16* inputs. Does anyone have opinions on:
>   1. should I change the card-, radio=, and tuner= to only have four,
> instead of 8, values? I realize that it multiplexes for 8, but....
>   2. What is "coring"?
>
>        mark

Hi Mark,

It did specify spectra 8 in your lspci output. Below is product page.

http://www.ituner.com/spectra.htm

In my research I did find this related page.

http://www.linuxconsulting.ro/spectra8/

This does state that with latest internal driver, it is detected and
works as the ProVision 150. The card=98,... is correct.

The matter of reducing all the settings to 4 rather than 8 may help.

coring is a luma setting. See:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Bttv#insmod_Options

Not sure and someone else maybe can shed better light on the setting. By
default it is disabled and I would tend to think it can be removed.

Regards

Phil