[CentOS] CentOS 7 and 4K display

Fri May 6 14:06:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 8:28 am, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 05/06/2016 07:12 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

>>> NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 720] This does 4K

>>> I am using the NOUVEAU at this time
>>>

>> I would suggest trying the NVIDIA proprietary driver from the ELRepo
>>
>> rpm --import https://www.elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
>> rpm -Uvh
>> http://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-7.0-2.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
>>
>> yum install kmod-nvidia
>>
>> reboot
>
> I would absolutely agree that the nvidia driver is going to likely
> support 4K better than the NOUVEAU driver.

It probably would be better to say "nv" driver in this case. My
understanding is (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) that nouveay
"driver" is just a wrapper that figures out what video chipset you have
and loads appropriate open source driver (nv in this case) for that
chipset.

<rant>
And indeed, nvidia proprietary driver "will work better" for less trivial
cases. E.g., if you attach two screens with different resolution. open
source driver will not handle it, whereas proprietary driver will. This is
why I, to the contrary to majority of Linux folks, never favored nvidia.
ATI (at least before they were bought by AMD) and matrox were disclosing
much more detail about their chips, thus providing to open source
developers sufficient information about chip internals to write decent
driver. I also am set off by many people saying "recompile nvidia driver"
for new kernel. It is not the driver you are recompiling. It merely is the
interface between precompiled by Nvidia binary driver and different
kernel.
</rant>

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev