[CentOS] Regarding upgrade from CentOS .5.5 to CentOS 7

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu May 5 11:11:21 UTC 2016

On 05/05/2016 12:13 AM, Venkateswara Rao Dokku wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to upgrade from centOS 5.5 to CentOS 7 without losing the data.
>
> Is there any upgrade path available?
>
> or what is the proper way to do it without affecting the existing config?
>
> Thnaks for the help

Others have touched on this, but you do need to consider how many
versions the programs have jumped from 5.5 to 7.

Configurations for many things are going to need to be completely redone.

For example:  Apache moves from version 2.2.3 to version 2.4.6 .. so you
will need to google and read how to upgrade from apache 22 to apache 2.4

samba (if you use it) moves from version 3.0.33 to version 4.2.3, major
config changes needed.

mysql from 5.0.77 to mariadb 5.5.44 - data is required to be upgraded
and new config.

Basically, if this is a server, every service you run is going to make
major version jumps and most of them will require new configurations.
Some of them will require some kind of data conversion and
configuuration changes.

So, this is a complete process and not an upgrade.