[CentOS] CentOS 7 and 4K display

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri May 6 15:22:30 UTC 2016

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Fri, May 6, 2016 8:28 am, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 05/06/2016 07:12 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

>>> I would suggest trying the NVIDIA proprietary driver from the ELRepo
>>>
>>> rpm --import https://www.elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
>>> rpm -Uvh
>>> http://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-7.0-2.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
>>> yum install kmod-nvidia
>>> reboot
<snip>
> <rant>
> And indeed, nvidia proprietary driver "will work better" for less trivial
> cases. E.g., if you attach two screens with different resolution. open
> source driver will not handle it, whereas proprietary driver will. This is
> why I, to the contrary to majority of Linux folks, never favored nvidia.
> ATI (at least before they were bought by AMD) and matrox were disclosing
> much more detail about their chips, thus providing to open source
<snip>
Perhaps, but *every* time I have to deal with ATI cards, it's a royal
pain. Esp. since the Catalyst drives is now "replaced" (except it wasn't
available for Linux, when I was trying to use it in the late fall. I had
to replace a couple of users' video cards with *old* NVidia ones, after I
rebuilt them as CentOS 7, because I *could* *not* get them to respond
properly to their visualization software, nor to one's 27"? 29" diagonal
monitor; it wouldn't support the video mode.

At least I *can* rebuild it, NVidia does support it that way, and the
rebuild always works.

        mark